Monday 25 April 2016

Using Slide Film

Using Slide Film 

My eyes were grazing the shelves in our classroom,  just looking for some masking tape when they came to rest on a slide viewer which sat next to the sink. 

It got me thinking that if I could find a slideviewer that showed a presentation of images automatically, I could use it in an installation with synced . This would be instead of creating a film digitally which I would then display. I really enjoyed going out with a Pentax K100 and shooting some still images so this idea excited me. 

When I asked my teacher about this she also suggested the idea that it allows people to dwell on each image and the sounds of the slideviewer clicking would be satisfying and add to the sensation. 

Since I have an idea for a story and I have been out looking at potential shooting locations I have been thinking about how I can use slides in this context.

- The Bristol Museum would be lovely to work in but some parts of it are quite dark and dingy (to protect the artefacts presumably) whereas other parts such as the hall are full of lovely, natural light from the frosted glass ceilings. 

- Royal Fort Garden is outside so would have lots of natural light for the camera and has a mirror maze that would be very visually interesting. It can be quite busy at time but I should think it would be fine to do not at lunchtime. 

- The Central Library in Bristol would be great to do some photography. However, there are often people working and studying so I would not like to make them uncomfortable or disturb them. 

I started the project thinking that I would be working to create a digital film, but I am more excited by exploring analogue opportunities which I haven't experienced before. I also think tat in relation to the subject of my work (consciousness, memories etc) analogue processes might be more effective because there is an element of nostalgia about them. 

I think my next steps are to finish writing my commentary for the film and produce a more exact shot list to go along with it. My teacher has recommended a film to watch which would be useful to see slide-film in action, so I can watch that as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment